Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disabling
physical illness affecting 1 to 2
percent of the population. Seventy
percent of the sufferers are women, and
10 percent are teens and children.
Likely precipitated by viral illness,
CFS is caused by numerous predisposing
factors that weaken the immune system.
These include the overuse of
antibiotics and steroids, environmental
toxins, nutritional deficiencies, poor
digestion and absorption, chronic yeast
and parasite infections, physical
traumas like surgery and car accidents,
major psychological traumas, and
- Debilitating fatigue for six or more
- No previous history of similar
- No other serious illness to account for
- No improvement with rest.
- 60 percent or greater reduction in
ability to perform daily activities.
Other Symptoms: Sleep disturbances,
depression, brain fog, muscle pain, low
grade fever, sore throat, painful
swollen lymph glands, prolonged muscle
fatigue after exercise lasting more
than 24 hours; impairment in short term
memory or concentration; multi-joint
pain without joint swelling or redness;
headaches of a new type, pattern or
severity; and unrefreshing sleep.
- Blood tests usually normal.
- Immune defects seen in two thirds of
patients i.e.decrease in natural killer
cells, increase in helper cells or
increase in the ratio of helper cells
to suppressor cells.
- Abnormal specialized brain scans.
- Note that there are two optimal
recovery opportunities at 2 to 3 years
and at 4 to 5 years after onset of
- Use an elimination diet to identify
- Digestive enzymes with meals three
times a day.
- A high quality diet emphasizing fresh
fruits and vegetables, whole grains and
beans, supplemented with chicken and
- Balance rest and activity, graduated
exercise programme, gentle massage.
- Counselling and St. John's Wort for
depression, antidepressants if
- Cognitive Therapy to change belief
systems about self and illness.
- Tryptophan by prescription in doses of
2,000 to 4,000mg for insomnia. In the
U.S. use 5-hydroxy-tryptophan (50mg of
5-hydroxy-tryptophan equals 500mg of
- Multivitamin and multi-mineral in
capsules four to six daily, plus a
supergreen drink twice daily.
- Four capsules of evening of primrose
plus two cod liver oil capsules twice
daily at breakfast and lunch.
- Trial of daily vitamin-B-12 injections
1,000 micrograms daily for one month.
- Magnesium 300mg to 500mg daily at
bedtime or throughout the day.
- Other important supplements include
zinc, vitamin-E, mega-B-50,
betacarotene, and vitamin-C.
- Six week trial of co-enzyme-Q-10 90 to
- Treat chronic yeast and parasite
- Support adrenal glands with extra
vitamin-C, pantothenic acid, and
adrenal glandulars 2 to 3 times a day.
- Support liver function through
supplements and herbs.
- A course of immune stimulating herbs
like echinacea, astralagus etc.